Job Opportunity: Humanitarian Assistance Advisor
International Organization for Migration (IOM)
14 Nov 2023
26 Nov 2023
Type of Contract
Fluency in English, Working knowledge of Dari/Pashto is an advantage
Core Functions / Responsibilities:
- Lead and coordinate IOM humanitarian action, ensuring that it is principled, timely, effective and efficient, and in line with the Country Office (CO) strategy, as well as other relevant internal and external frameworks namely the Humanitarian Response Plan.
- In coordination with the Senior Coordinator of Programs, ensure that all Programs have robust humanitarian programming and are adequately resourced in terms of staffing and funding to respond to identified needs in a coordinated and harmonized manner at national and sub-national level.
- In coordination with Senior Coordinator of Programs and the Resilience and Solutions Advisor, ensure the development of humanitarian programme work plans, establishment of monitoring tools and tracking of implementation challenges to promote up to date and evidence based decision-making and reporting.
- In coordination with the Resilience and Solutions Advisor, ensure that all humanitarian programs are designed and implemented to address humanitarian needs, promote pathways for solutions and lay the foundation for resilience building at the community level. Promote synergies and integrated programming.
- Lead the IOM emergency preparedness and contingency planning and ensure prepositioning of stocks and that IOM Rapid Response Teams are prepared to respond where needed in a coordinated and timely manner. Ensure that IOM participates in inter-agency preparedness and response efforts, including assessments,
- Represent IOM in meetings with humanitarian partners, namely the Inter-Cluster Coordination Team (ICCT) and any other inter-agency forums, to ensure that IOM is represented, contributes to the humanitarian response planning, and participates in key decision-making processes. Ensure timely reporting on relevant issues to the Head of Program and Operations and COM.
- In coordination with the Senior Coordinator of Programs, ensure that IOM is duly represented and participates in relevant humanitarian inter-agency coordination mechanisms at national and sub-national level, including clusters, working groups and strategic advisory groups, with the right level of expertise and information for meaningful representation and decision making.
- Ensure IOM fulfils its cluster coordination functions as the co-lead the Shelter and Non-Food Item (NFI) cluster at national and sub-national level and that resources are available to ensure adequate coordination efforts.
- Develop resource mobilization, donor and partner outreach strategies, taking into account thematic priorities set out in the Country Strategy and IOM’s regional and global strategic priorities and objectives, ensuring that all humanitarian programmes are adequately resourced in coordination with Head of Programs and Operations, Senior Programmes Coordinator and the Program Support Unit.
- Promote convergence between all programmes and projects to advance efficiency and effectiveness of the response through balanced division of labour, while reducing parallel structures and communication channels, thereby avoiding duplication, overlap and wastage of resources (human, financial, time, other).
- Lead the identification, development and promotion of capacity building opportunities to strengthen the knowledge of staff on humanitarian principles, relevant internal and external frameworks and enhance technical capabilities.
- In coordination with PSU, lead the development and timely dissemination of Sitreps, Talking Points, Key Messages on IOM’s humanitarian work.
- Undertake travel duties, as required and in line with prevailing security restrictions, related to project development, funding and implementation, programme oversight, staff training, andoversight of partners and the Sub-Offices, to coordinate, develop and/or support programme implementation.
- Perform such other duties as may be assigned.
Required Qualifications and Experience:
- Master’s degree in Business Administration, Political or Social Sciences, Humanities, International Relations, Law, Economics or a related field from an accredited academic institution with seven years of relevant professional experience; or
- University degree in the above fields with nine years of relevant professional experience.
- Solid working experience in implementation and management of emergency response in hardship duty stations and emergency settings with complex operating environments preferred;
- Demonstrated expertise and experience in coordinating humanitarian assistance relevant to IOM areas of work including CCCM, Shelter, Protection, WASH within hardship locations;
- Experience in liaising with governmental authorities, other national/ international institutions and UN, IOM or INGOs
- Experience and/or familiarity with the socio-economic and political context in Afghanistan and in the region;
- Extensive experience in successfully managing projects and providing programme and administrative/management support;
- Experience in both development and emergency contexts;
- Supervisory and management experience; and
- Excellent understanding of and proven experience in the UN systems and experience in a crisis context.
- Knowledge or experience of working with the humanitarian inter-agency coordination and cluster systems;
- Excellent writing skills;
- Excellent people and communication skills and demonstrated ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with stakeholders and partners;
- In depth knowledge of the broad range of migration related subject areas dealt with by the Organization;
- Excellent knowledge of migration policy and actors in Afghanistan.
- Thorough knowledge of the project management cycle, programme support modalities and administrative systems and rules; and
- Knowledge of UN and bilateral donor programming; Knowledge of programme management in emergency, recovery, and development contexts.
IOM’s official languages are English, French, and Spanish.
For this position, fluency in English is required (oral and written). Working knowledge of Dari/Pashto is an advantage.
Proficiency of language(s) required will be specifically evaluated during the selection process, which may include written and/or oral assessments.
How to apply
To apply, interested applicants are invited to submit their applications HERE via the IOM e-Recruitment system by 26 November 2023.
- IOM only accepts duly completed applications submitted through the IOM e-Recruitment system. The online tool also allows candidates to track the status of their application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
For further information please refer to: www.iom.int/recruitment